Carnegie Mellon's Office of Government Relations acts as an advocate for the university on the federal, state and local levels. This includes monitoring legislation related to higher education, working with legislators and their staffs to influence public policy and helping to increase awareness of the university's research and educational programs. The office serves as the principal liaison and point of contact between the university and all levels of government.
We are seeking an Office Manager in our Washington location to join the team. In this role, you will provide a wide range of administrative support for the Federal Relations Director, and serve as an Office Manager for the Office. You will be responsible for ensuring smooth and consistent day to day operations of the office.
Core responsibilities include:
* Capturing information regarding legislative/regulatory initiatives that may impact the university * Providing administrative support for a Director, in scheduling, planning meeting logistics, meeting preparation, drafting correspondence, ordering supplies, planning events and providing event management support as well as coordinating and being the point of contact for IT and facility issues * Scheduling and/or attending meetings as required and applicable, including legislative briefings by university faculty and staff * Working with national university associations to promote university positions * Performing research to respond to requests and summarize the findings; acting as a resource to less experience staff and may direct their work; performing related duties and projects as assigned * Interacting with federal offices to support the Director in developing and implementing strategies and processes that support excellent service for, and relations with, both the federal government and Carnegie Mellon faculty and staff * In coordination with the Director, crafting and overseeing a database of Federal Relations activities to fully understand the legislative cycle and coordinating applicable activities and writing reports as needed
* Maintaining the organization of the database to aid in the flow of work within the office
* High School Diploma required; an Associate's degree preferred * At least five years' of administrative support, office management, event coordination, word processing and data entry experience required * Prior experience working in a legislative, executive branch or independent agency; government relations experience is preferred Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the Government Relations office. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued proficiences at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a dynamic population of internal and external partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
* Strong interpersonal, organizational and written and verbal communication skills
* Strong event management skills, ability to be adaptive and creative under pressure * Basic understanding of Capitol Hill environment and the legislative process * Interest in higher education and science policy, and public policy issues
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran .
Job Function: Administration / Management
Primary Location: United States-District of Columbia-Washington DC
Time Type: Full Time
Minimum Education Level: High School/GED
Preferred Education Level: Associate's Degree or equivalent
Internal Number: 2014461
About Carnegie Mellon University
Carnegie Mellon (www.cmu.edu) is a private, internationally ranked research university with programs in areas ranging from science, technology and business, to public policy, the humanities and the arts. More than 12,000 students in the university’s seven schools and colleges benefit from a small student-to-faculty ratio and an education characterized by its focus on creating and implementing solutions for real problems, interdisciplinary collaboration and innovation. A global university, Carnegie Mellon’s main campus in the United States is in Pittsburgh, Pa. It has campuses in California’s Silicon Valley and Qatar, and programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and Mexico.
BACK TO TOP
WGR Career Resource Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else WGR has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at WGR Career Resource Center.