Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Contracting Officer reports to a Purchasing Team Lead and is a key member of the purchasing team. The Contracting Officer's responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: providing contract and subcontract administration with an emphasis on federally and privately funded subawards issued to universities, and non- and for-profit organizations, and handling moderate to complex procurements of goods and services. Benefits included in this position are a flexible work schedule and compressed work week (9/80) and the ability to participate in Procurement Services' Wellness Program.
Additionally, Caltech offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes a broad range of programs. We offer benefits which include health and dental coverage, generous holiday and vacation leave accrual plans, a competitive retirement option, life insurance and other types of financial protection, tuition assistance for staff members, child care programs, credit union memberships, library privileges, and participation in cultural and social events. As one of the top rated institutions in the world, Caltech offers the opportunity to work in a stimulating and diverse environment. Learn more about our benefits at: http://benefits.caltech.edu.
Primary Duties: - Preparing and issuing research subawards and subcontracts and processing through appropriate levels of review leading to execution
- Post-award management activities including subcontract closeout for the Subcontracts group
- Leading, conducting, and documenting moderate to complex procurement projects for the Institute
- Developing and issuing solicitation documents, coordinating the evaluation of proposals, and negotiating specifications and terms and conditions
- Identifying opportunities for improved productivity or efficient use of resources and ensure customer needs are identified and addressed
- Acting as a key technical expert on procurement issues, concerns, and special projects
- Interacting with internal and external personnel on pertinent matters.
Special assignments may include:
Leading a project or task team including speaking or presenting to small groups of internal or external customers
Basic Qualifications - Bachelor's degree and 4 years of purchasing experience which includes a minimum of 3 recent verifiable years of preparing, issuing, and administering federally and privately-funded research subawards and subcontracts.
- The selected candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation to be hired for this position.
Preferred Qualifications - Certified Professional Contracts Manager (CPCM) certificate and/or Master's degree a plus
- A strong working knowledge of purchasing systems and customer service is essential
- Excellent organizational skills, a high level of initiative, and the ability to work in a collaborative environment are also essential
- The successful candidate must have the flexibility to work with both conceptual issues and with a high degree of detail and must be able to manage multiple deliverables and deadlines in a high volume production environment, while giving stellar customer service
- Experience in applying best business practices in government related subcontracts, a solid understanding of applicable laws, government regulations such as the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) and the Uniform Guidance (UG), and advanced knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word and Excel, and experience with database tools is essential for this position
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary faculty and students seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future.