About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech Richmond Office, Special Assistant for State Government Relations manages the downtown Richmond office and serves as the primary support person for the Director of State Government Relations.
This position coordinates the administrative needs associated with the staff and events based in this office including the President’s office, Vice President for Finance’s office, Government Relations office, Alumni Association, Outreach and Information Technology. Insures office coverage, answers main telephone, schedules conference room, manages Banner accounts, uses HokieMart for procurement, and maintains supplies and equipment.
- Experience providing administrative and office support in a professional, academic, or government office environment.
- Proficient utilizing software such as Microsoft Office and database applications.
- Experience such as scheduling with electronic calendar programs, word processing, and spreadsheets.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage confidential matters.
- Familiarity with Virginia's executive and legislative systems, processes, and structure, and an interest in government.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Familiarity with university policies and procedures.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 05/12/2017