Reporting to Frank J. Molek, Director of Development and Membership , the Development Officer for Foundations and Government Relations will work primarily with foundations and local, state, and federal government agencies to determine their grant and philanthropic interests, and close appropriate gifts in support of Arboretum fundraising priorities. This position coordinates with the Development/ Membership, Education, Research, and Administrative Divisions at the Arboretum and works closely with the Arboretum office of Corporate Relations, as well as the Foundation Relations Office at the U of M Foundation.
• Develop and implement strategy to select, cultivate, solicit, and steward foundation and government prospects with an emphasis on acquiring new and/or increasing existing grant funding
• For each grant prospect, identify means to increase involvement of donors and prospects in the activities of the Arboretum and/or the University
• Work closely with program staff to gather information and data for project proposals
• Work closely/collaborate with Corporate Relations Development Officer to prepare proposal and collateral material associated with Corporate/Business Grant requests
• Collaborate with staff members to assist with the design of programs which will attract funding
• Write, edit, and submit proposals for general operations, designated programs, and special projects
• Assume primary responsibility to achieve the grant funding goals for specific programs and annual fund
• Maintain tracking system of deadlines, submissions, and outcomes, ensure timely reporting and appropriate stewardship for funded projects
• Design and implement a comprehensive long-range development plan for support, based on Foundation grant funding
• Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum and its programs, effectively communicating its vision, mission, and priorities to prospects and donors and also acting as a resource for other Development staff
PROSPECT RESEARCH (10%)
• Research potential funding sources; Maintain research information system on grant and other funding opportunities
• Initiate and review research reports and information from the University's donor management system database as well as other systems on assigned Foundation prospects
• Meet with Director of Development and Membership regularly to review projects and assess effectiveness
• Offer research based counsel to Development and Membership Director and other Development staff
PROSPECT MANAGEMENT & STEWARDSHIP (20%)
• Work proactively with the University of Minnesota Foundation on Arboretum Development Foundation/Government prospect coordination and information sharing
• Special Projects as assigned
This is a full-time, 100%, 12-month, annually renewable academic professional (P&A) appointment located at the MN Landscape Arboretum in Chaska, MN.
Annual renewals are contingent upon a successful performance review, continuing need for the position, and availability of funds.
This position reports directly to the Director of Development and Membership.