At the direction of the Vice President, Medicaid Advocacy, this position provides policy expertise on Medicaid long term services and supports (LTSS) programs in support of America’s Health Insurance Plans operating departments and member organizations. Responsibilities include playing a leading role in the development of AHIP’s Medicaid LTSS policy agenda; closely monitoring and analyzing Federal legislative initiatives, health policy developments, and State and Federal agency policies; assisting in the preparation of concise analyses of key issues; remaining in close contact with our Medicaid LTSS health plan members and other Medicaid-focused groups; and pursuing other duties in support of America’s Health Insurance Plans’ advocacy efforts.
- Participates in America’s Health Insurance Plans government relations efforts relating to the Medicaid and LTSS programs.
- Working closely with the Senior Vice President, Federal Programs and the Vice President, Medicaid Advocacy in the development and execution of our Medicaid policy agenda. Provides background analysis and information to ensure that industry positions are properly presented and aligned with positions of our member plans; and assists in development of appropriate strategies to further industry objectives.
- Closely monitors and contributes policy expertise to government relations efforts relating to Congress, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), National Governors Association (NGA), National Association of Medicaid Directors (NAMD), Medicaid and CHIP Payment and Access Commission (MACPAC), State Medicaid agencies and other governmental agencies and commissions.
- Maintains close and constant contact with our Medicaid and LTSS health plan membership to ensure we are best serving their interests and allow us to best respond to inquiries from press and Congressional staff.
- Performs analyses of proposed legislation and health policy reports to determine their impact on the industry.
- Provides concise written analyses of proposed legislation and health policy reports and evaluates their impact on the industry. Assists in the preparation of testimony, position statements, and talking points sent to legislative and regulatory bodies and other interested parties concerning legislation, regulations, policies, published reports, and statutes governing the Medicaid program. Assists in the preparation of written reports, memos, and policy briefs sent to America’s Health Insurance Plans members.
- Analyzes and compares AHIP Medicaid and LTSS positions in relation to positions of Medicaid stakeholders and advocates, identifying points of consistency and divergence.
- Develops and maintains an archive of legislative analyses, policy briefs, reports, position statements and other materials pertinent to AHIP’s Medicaid policy and advocacy work.
- Communicates concise and clear descriptions of key issues to AHIP member plans and staff. Responds to members’ questions on Medicaid issues and requests for related materials.
- Maintains ongoing and close contacts with other America’s Health Insurance Plans staff to share or obtain information.
- Keeps informed of the continuous and rapid changes in the health care sector and congressional and regulatory activities which may have an impact on health insurance plans, particularly Medicare and Medicaid health plans.
- Performs other tasks as required or assigned.
- Knowledge of the structure and functioning of the government in terms of its impact on health affairs and the health system.
- Knowledge of current health, Medicaid and LTSS policy issues affecting AHIP and its member organizations.
- Demonstrated good judgment, a well-developed sense of propriety, political acumen, the ability to think constructively, strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal with complex and changing policy and political environment.
- Demonstrated capability of developing and maintaining access to reliable sources of information.
- Extensive knowledge of the techniques and methods of developing and executing policy analysis.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of managed care operations.
Physical Work Activities & Conditions
- Light physical activities and efforts required working in an office environment.
Percent of Travel
- Up to 25 percent of time.
The purpose of a job description is to describe the overall function and general responsibilities of a job. Job descriptions are used in hiring and training and to provide employees with a better understanding of employer expectations. Actual job functions and duties will vary as job responsibilities and business needs require.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran
Interested candidates must send resume, references and a cover letter that includes salary requirements to: email@example.com or mail to:
America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
ATTN: HR Dept/FPDMLTSS
601 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
South Building, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004